Saturday, March 20, 2010

Hip Replacement Surgery

So, on March 4th, I had hip replacement surgery on my left hip. That's a little over 2 weeks ago now.

I was in the hospital for 6 days, mostly because they couldn't get their act together to get me transferred to a Skilled Nursing Facility. I should have transferred on Monday, but the hospital sent all the records to the wrong insurance company and didn't realize it until Tuesday, at which point they had to start from scratch. I just got tired of it and Wed morning I decided I was going home...enough of hospitals or any type of facility.

The docs said I had to walk 50 feet and do stairs. Heck I would have jumped if that's what it took. So I did my walking and my stairs, got the ok and came home.

Coming home, I didn't have a lot of energy, strength or stamina. It was hard just to get around the house the first few days. But day by day, I found myself becoming stronger and getting my stamina back.

Overall, I think the recovery is going well. I was outside yesterday (14 days post op) walking with the walker in front of the house. I'm up almost all day now and just feel better every day.

I'm really glad I did the surgery. The hip pain is 100% gone, now I just have the pain related to healing and that's much less than the pain I had before.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it just great not to have that pain anymore! I'm now 4 months post-op and I can still feel myself improving slowly. I'm not great at carrying heavy things yet and haven't attempted running (never was much use at that anyway) but everything else is pretty good.
    Best of luck to you for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete