Monday, March 5, 2012

Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage

I love sweet and sour.....and I'm trying to shed some weight, so sweet and sour chicken is out. So I decided to get my sweet and sour by making some sweet and sour cabbage. It's delicious and a one pot meal, not to mention low in calories, so it meets my criterea. Now, believe it or not, I add sausage to my cabbage and that's ok, because one sausage is about 280 calories and since the onions and cabbage are practically no calories, it balances out.

This is what I do....in a pan, pour 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Add one whole onion, diced. Let the onion sweat a bit then add 2 tsp. sugar. Add one sausage (I used Johnsonville sweet sausage, cut the casing off and cut it into small bits. ) let the sausage cook with the onion a bit, while you shred the cabbage.
Add the shredded cabbage....I used about a quarter of a cabbage. At the same time, I add about 1/3 a cup of water. I'll add more later, if it seems to be too dry. Then I add a couple of shakes of balsamic vinegar. (Sorry, can't be more specific, that's how I measure.) I'll taste later and add a bit more, if it seems too sweet. Let the cabbage cook, in an uncovered pan, stirring occasionally, for about 20-25 minutes. If you hear it sizzling, you've got a dry pan, add a bit of water, maybe a quarter cup and continue cooking. Give it a taste....if it's too sweet, add another shake of vinegar.
Here's the finished product:
It's really quite good and final calorie count is around 320, which isn't bad for a dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I love cabbage...now for the kids' spaghetti...blahk! Good to see your new post :)

    ReplyDelete