Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!


Yesterday I had the pleasure of helping out in the classroom for activities and then the party for Marielle's class. It was a lot of fun for me and the kids. The kids made love bugs and valentine's. My job was to man the store. Each child was given 15 cents in plastic money and then had to come and buy what they wanted on their valentine. They could choose feathers (3 cents ) or pompoms (1 cent) or stars (3 cents) or yarn and so on.

It was a lot of fun to watch the light bulb go on in some of the kids heads. Although they've talked about what a nickel is worth, I think for many, this was the first time that they understood that if something is 3 cents and you have a nickel you can use it and get change back. I would ask, "What is a nickel worth" and they would, by rote answer, "Five". And then I'd ask, "So if you have 5 and this costs 3 and you give me your nickel what do I give you back?" and the light bulb would go on and they would say 2 and smile. I think they were more excited that one coin turns into 2 coins of change than the fact that they bought something for their valentine.

After the crafts were completed, it was time for ice cream sundaes and cookies. Which, needless to say, were big hits. Nothing like sugaring up a classroom full of kids and then sending them on home to their parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment