Wednesday, June 3, 2009

So a little about me

Ever since I had my Gyn surgery, about 6 weeks ago, I've had hip pain. They put me in the stirrups while I was out under anesthesia and when I woke up and they had me get up in the recovery room, I had groin pain. I thought that they must have pulled my groin muscle while putting me in or taking me out of the stirrups.

After a couple of weeks of pretty good pain, I went to see the orthopedist. He said that the xrays showed that I had arthritis in that hip. He also said that if you xray just about anybody over the age of 50, they probably have some arthritic changes, but the fact that it's symptomatic is what we had to address. Ok. So, I went on NSAIDS and steroid pills and waited for things to get better. But they didn't...my hip pain actually increased.

It would be pretty good for a couple of hours and then I'd take a step and ouch! the pain would be sharp like a knife. But the worst would be getting up from a chair. I'd get up fine, maybe 7 out of 10 times but the other 3 times, it was like something was stuck, I couldn't straighten my leg or bear weight, it felt like something was in the hip between the bones. And let me tell you, it is unbelievably painful.

So, I went back yesterday to the orthopedist and he thinks that I might have a tear in the labrum, the cartilage that surrounds the hip. I go tomorrow for a contrast MRI to see what it shows. In the meantime, I'm still on the meds and hope that the pain will subside.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Marie I am so sorry to hear about your hip. That just stinks! I hope it is something that is solved with a little time...and not more steroids!

    ReplyDelete