Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fritata!

With just the egg and oil in the pan:
Once I've added all the toppings, except the grated cheese:






A fritatta is a money saving cook's best friend. If you don't know what it is, now is the time to learn. It's an egg dish and it's very versitile.


My kids call it "egg pizza". I think of it as a quiche without a crust. At any rate, it's a super easy way to get rid of leftovers, while creating a delicious meal.


You start with a cast iron pan. Pour enough oil to cover the bottom, so it won't stick. Doesn't matter what kind of oil. Then whip up some eggs. I usually figure 3 eggs per person, more or less, so for a family of 4, you'd use about 10-12, depending on how hearty your eaters are. Pour the egg mixture into the warm pan.


Then, add whatever toppings you like. Really, whatever bits of leftovers you have. In this example, I used a bit of leftover pork tenderloin (I had one piece left over, not enough for anything else), some red bell pepper, some green oinions, and one tomato. But I could have used just about anything...bacon, mushrooms, cilantro, whatever you have on hand works.


Then leave it on the stove for about 5 minutes, just enough for the bottom to set. Top with some grated cheese and bake in a 350 oven for 35-40 minutes. Serve.


Easy, tasty and inexpensive! I'll add some bread and apple slices on the side and that's our dinner tonight!








1 comment:

  1. There's nothing like cooking in a cast iron pan! Looks great...and I love the new name...EGG PIZZA!

    ReplyDelete