Thursday, October 20, 2011

Trout!

I buy the trout at COSTCO, it's gutted but with the head and tail on. I just cut the tail and head off, then freeze them each one in a single freezer bag. One trout is enough to feed a family of 4. And I mean good portions, not wimpy portions.




To cook the trout, I just heat some canola oil in a pan and then put the trout in and cover. Heat at medium heat for about 7-9 minutes, depending on the size of the fish then uncover and flip the whole thing over. Let cook covered for another 7 minutes or so.




Remove the fish from the pan onto a plate, then use 2 forks to pull the cooked fillet off the fish. It's actually pretty simple, the fish will just flake away from the middle bone. Just insert the fork into the middle of the fish and pull out.




I served the trout with peas and smashed potatoes. It's an esay dinner and not expensive at all. The trout was $15.00 for 4, so each trout is around $4, the peas , 1 can 89 cents on sale and the potatoes are $5.99 for a 10 lb bag and I used 2 potatoes, so about 50 cents.




Total for the dinner around $8.00, not bad.




I made a run to COSTCO today and bought my favorite, hearts of romaine. We'll be having salad with romaine for the next week. At $2.99 a bag, it's such a great deal, since there are 5 romaine hearts in a bag.




The other find I bought was cranberries. A 3 pound bag for $4.99. I took about a pound out and I'll make home made cranberry sauce to serve as a side this week, then freeze the rest. Cranberries freeze very well and you can pull out what you need and put the rest back in the freezer. I love cranberry muffins and cranberry bread, so that'll be coming up, as the weather gets cooler.


1 comment:

  1. I am not really a sea food person...or fresh water fish person but the rest of my family is...so I have to put up with it. I do LOVE the Costco romaine lettuce...I had lettuce wraps last night for dinner with it. You cannot beat that price :)

    ReplyDelete