Saturday, January 3, 2009

Me vs the exercise bike

Ok, so there it is....the exercise bike. It's in the dining room. Right smack in my face every time I walk around, through, near the dining room. I did that purposefully, so that it wouldn't be hiding in the bedroom, where I wouldn't see it except morning and night. I want to see it. I want it to say in big bold letters, "Do the right thing and GET ON ME NOW!!!"

And yet, every day, it's a fight. I know, I know, I should get on it. I know it's good for me. I know it's the right thing to do. And yet.....

I get up every morning and say to myself....If I do one thing today, it will be to get on the bike. I take the kids to school and say, "I'll come right home and get on the bike. Get it out of the way, feel good about my accomplishment". Then I get home and find 100 reasons why I can't. I need to check my email. Oh look at how dusty the living room is. I think I need to vacuum.

You can always tell how good or bad I am about exercise by looking at my house. The cleaner the house is, the less I've exercised. See, I can't get on the bike if I just have to clean the bathroom, right?

I will say that in 2008 I got on the bike more times than I didn't. I did make myself get on and I felt better for it. Plus, I get really smug when I have ridden it in the morning....I walk around feeling like, "Ha, you slobs....I did 7 miles on the bike this morning". But, I also freely admit that over the holidays, the bike lost out more times than it won out. I'd walk by it thinking, yes, yes, I see you, I'll get to you and of course, I never did.

Now it's a new year and I've vowed to have the bike win more times this year again. I've given myself until Monday to be a slug. Then, my house will be dirtier once more and I will be more fit......

1 comment: